Botswana Savings Bank (BSB)
Origin of funding
German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
1989 - 1999
1 international long-term expert, 2 local specialists, 8 short-term experts
The project, which was executed in close cooperation with the Sparkasse Siegen (Siegen Savings Bank), targeted on the institutional strengthening of BSB to ensure an adequate offer of financial services to Botswana’s population and SMEs and at the same time BSB’s financial sustainability. Until the beginning of the 90s, BSB was a department of Botswana’s financial ministry, but with the help of the project it was succeeded in transforming BSB into a legally and economically independent savings bank in 1992. In addition, the Sparkassenstiftung rendered substantial support to the introduction of new products, particularly to the introduction of the personal lending business. The successful extension of BSB’s product range was enabled through extensive staff training measures and an appropriate IT support.
- Consultancy with respect to BSB's the legal independence
- Extensive HRD measures, including the development of staff selection techniques and staff training in seminars and courses and on-the-job.
- Development and introduction of new products in the deposit and lending business, in particular the introduction of the personal loans
- Establishment of a loan department, introduction of efficient loan-granting processes, elaboration of loan manuals
- Support to the introduction of an adequate IT infrastructure