The Gambia, Ghana, Sierra Leone
Local project partners
Ghana: Co-operative Credit Union Association (CUA),
The Gambia: National Association of Co-operative Credit Unions of The Gambia (NACCUG),
Sierra Leone: National Co-operative Credit Unions Association (NACCUA), ILCUF
30.06.2023 - 30.06.2026
The development of the three project countries in English-speaking West Africa is characterized by continued inadequate access to appropriate financial services as a major obstacle to development. This particularly affects women and young people. Credit cooperatives make a significant contribution to providing the primarily rural population with financial services, but the organizational and institutional development of the associations and their affiliated institutions still needs to be expanded.
The overall objective of the project is to improve the financial inclusion of previously excluded or disadvantaged population groups through better access to financial services, thereby promoting their participation in economic life and contributing to poverty reduction. The concrete project objective is to strengthen the credit cooperative associations in Ghana, The Gambia, and Sierra Leone so that they can offer their members target-group-oriented and needs-based services.
- The existing cooperation with the Ghanaian and Gambian credit cooperative associations (KGV) will be further expanded and the joint exchange and support of the associations from Liberia and Sierra Leone will be continuously intensified.
- In The Gambia, post-Covid-19 activity plans are being developed and implemented for the KGVs to support their affiliated credit unions (KG) and their members.
- At NACCUG (Gambia), the training centre continues to develop its course offerings in order to the specific training needs of the credit cooperatives are met in a sustainable manner. The risk management system established at umbrella association level is being applied to pilot credit unions.
- Foundation work continues at NaCCUA (Sierra Leone). Through intensive South-South dialogue. Targeted training of staff is taking place in order to professionalise business operations.
- The strategic realignment of CUA (Ghana) is progressing successfully and is being closely monitored by the project. In Ghana, a sustainable MSME scheme is being developed and piloted with pilot credit unions and MSMEs.